Week 1 of the college season is on the horizon, so it's time to get the fantasy games started. New to the site this year I'll be posting my weekly roster for ESPN's College Football Challenge. I've been doing this since 2009 and have posted the following finishing percentages nationally: 99.87% ('09), 92.35% ('10), 97.52% ('11), 87.37% ('12). Had a slight drop-off last year, but ready to get back into the swing of things.
My strategy is relatively simple, as it's all about the match-ups (shocking I know):
- QBs: Dual threat QBs (J. Manziel or B. Miller) or Option QBs who might throw a TD here or there (T. Martinez or C. Fajardo) . The rushing yards and TDs really add up.
- WRs/RBs: Find a top 20 player going against a bottom 20 rushing or passing defense. Obviously more credit for a player if they are in a run or pass heavy offense
- K: High scoring offenses against weakest opponent (Typically an FCS team)
- Def: Find the best team against the weakest opponent (Typically an FCS team)
The week 1 roster is really all about grabbing the top performers last year against the cupcake teams in a non-conference game. At this point it's tough to bet on an unproven player or offense solely based on a match-up.
- QBs: J. Manziel and B. Miller
- RBs: K. Carey and A. Andrews
- WRs: D. Archer and M. Lee
- K: Houston Cougars
- Def: Oregon Ducks